April 14, 2009

SUNNY IN SUMY!!

I'll let you know right up front - Sorry no pictures. Hope you'll follow along anyway. The landlady didn't pay her internet bill in Kiev, so we lost our connection. Not to worry. We are now in Sumy. It has been a long and exhausting day. That's what happens when you start at 2:30 am. Margie and Ari, I wish you could have been here when we met Zhenya. I can't even begin to express how great that moment was. He had been waiting, and even though he believed we were coming, I think a little concern had crept in. He was soooo happy - a totally different demeanor. We got a lot of the paper work done. It couldn't have gone any better. Our one big hurdle will be trying to get his birth certificate from Russia, so please keep praying for us. Our next step is the court date. We will let you know. We haven't even unpacked yet,so I don't know where my flash drive is, or even if I packed it. I will look and then we can send pictures. We had a great time at the orphanage. The director was great. He showed us a room that had lots of memorabilia from an American/Russian colaboration on an american aircraft during the 2nd World War. It was neat and he was very proud of it. He took us to another room filled with lots of old tools, costumes, weavings, etc. mostly from the Sumy region. He apologized for not having enough time to spend with us and invited us back for a more detailed tour. Having my grandmother being from Ukraine was a big plus. He really likes us - a huge bonus for us. Can't wait to share the pictures. We will deliver all the packages, letters, etc. tomorrow. We are sharing an apt. in Sumy with Bill and Leslie Strader who hosted this last year. It was so great to visit with Zhenya. We were able to talk with him for a long time, and he still wants to come home with us!
The best part of the day - When Natasha asked Zhenya if he had anymore questions for us and he said "When do we go home." Love you all. More later.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that everything is going good. We're praying for everything to go smoothly and quickly, so hopefully it does.
I'm glad that he was excited to see you. I can't wait for him to come home so I'll finally have a brother!
Will you be in the same apartment with no internet the whole time? I hope we'll get a change to call you again.
Love you.

Lee-Ann said...

Isn't that great? I am so happy things are going well. I've been praying for a speedy return. It must be neat to have a director that welcomes you. Angelina is doing well. Polly and Tonia joined us for FHE last night. We played flag football at the park. Watch out for those Evenson girls -they can run. Afterwards, we went for icecream. Ruth stayed at your house last night because Polly begged her to. Tommorrow we are getting snow. Next week is to be in the 70's. Go figure. How's Ray? Hope to see you really soon.

The Rogers Family said...

Yea! I hope you have a little video of that meeting! I would just love to see him smiling again. He is such a sweetheart! As I said, the boys are hoping for a speedy trip, so as to see there friend again soon. It sounds like the process is going well, and I'm so glad for you two. You are still in our prayers, don't worry. Once we hear about the passport situation, I can stop holding my breath! Tell Zhenya we all say hello, and can't wait until he is here!

Margie said...

He is such a great kid, I know you will have a great time getting to know him better. Your family is perfect for him, and everything he has always wanted. I am so happy for you! We will remember you in our prayers every night and tell him Misha and the Jorgensen family said hi (especially Kent!)

Claire Evenson said...

I am just so overjoyed that everything is going so well. I wish I could have seen Zhenya's reaction when he saw you. Much love to you all!

Jeri said...

I am confused. Is Zhenya the girls' brother? We adopted from Sumy in 2000. Stayed with a mom and daughter...the mom is a vocational education teacher at the senior orphanage and the daughter is a pediatrician. They are wonderful! Stayed with them again in 2003 on a visit to meet our son's sister who was in the same orphanage as he was but we weren't told about her when we adopted him. Crazy!

Brooke said...

It's good to hear such wonderful news. You are all in our thoughts and prayers. Tell Zhenya hello for us, we can't wait to meet him. Love you!