December 31, 2009

Sumy in Wwwwwinter!











We arrived in Sumy after 7 1/2 hours on the bus from Kiev. Suffice it to say that the roads were not good. We were tired and cold while waiting for the taxi to come take us to our apt. After arriving at the apt., there was some disagreement with the landlord(yea, you guessed it. Bill and Leslie's old "friend") He wanted a deposit that was more than the rent, and I didn't want to give it to him! He asked us to leave, so we did. I'm sure he thought I wouldn't, but he was wrong. Now we were out in the cold again with all our luggage. I called Tanya, and she saved the day! She got a hold of the owner of another apt. we had stayed in during our last visit. He was willing to come down at 9:00 at night, last minute, and rent us the apt. Boy were we glad. Unfortunately, we could only stay one night because he had the other nights booked. We paid for the night and he said to leave the key on the counter when we left in the morning. No contract, no deposit! Now that's my kind of renting. We are now in a hotel because all the apts. are booked for the holiday. I would have thought the hotel would be booked but it's not. I went with Marina to "officially" sign Zhenya out of the orphanage. We tried to take care of things at the bank, but they weren't very helpful. They said to come back Tues. because they are closed Monday. We are still trying to figure things out and how long we will stay. We will make the best of it. I forgot to mention that the missionaries came and unlocked the church so we could store our luggage until we found somewhere to stay. Jesse, Tanya, and Zhenya went looking for a place to stay while Marina and I took care of business. Divide and conquer! Things are working out. Nothing is open tomorrow, so that won't be much fun. I will return to the orphanage tomorrow with the boys to deliver the gifts and packages.




HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

No comments: